Are you looking for a way to take control of your investments while also leveraging an expert understanding of the markets? Non-discretionary portfolio management may be the answer you’ve been searching for.
Non-discretionary portfolio management goes beyond the traditional “buy-and-hold” model and allows investors to take a more active approach to their portfolios. In this blog, we’ll explore non-discretionary portfolio management, the benefits it offers, and best practices for you as the investor.
What is non-discretionary portfolio management?
Non-discretionary portfolio management is an investment strategy that gives investors the ability to make decisions on their own portfolios, leveraging the expertise and experience of a financial advisor. This type of portfolio management offers investors complete control over their investments and allows them to work with their advisor to better align their goals and strategies.
At Secure Retirement Strategies, non-discretionary portfolio management means that our firm actively monitors the performance of a client’s investments. When there is a change or adjustment that makes sense for a client’s goals, we reach out and discuss this with you before making any change. Unlike a client-passive approach to investing which relies on trusting a fund manager or financial advisor to make decision they feel are best for their client without connecting with them first, non-discretionary portfolio management requires an active approach on the part of those managers and advisors, matching their understanding of the markets with their client’s risk tolerance and individual goals, then confirming with the client that they are ok with these changes.
Benefits of non-discretionary portfolio management
Non-discretionary portfolio management at Secure Retirement Strategies, via our wholly-owned subsidiary Duke & Duke Wealth Management, offers many benefits to investors. Here are some of the key advantages of a non-discretionary approach:
- Increased Control – Non-discretionary portfolio management allows investors to take control of their investments, giving them the ability to make the final decisions in any investment choice.
- Greater Understanding – Experienced professionals with decades of experience in investing at Secure Retirement Strategies pass on their knowledge to our non-discretionary investment clients. When leverage that experience, benefit from our greater understanding of the markets and the performance of their investments. This helps our clients make more informed final decisions and give them confidence in their investing strategies in the long term.
- Customization – Over time, this type of management allows our firm and our clients to further customize their portfolios to meet their individual goals. With the advice of our trusted team of advisors, we continually and consistently choose the types of investments that best align with their risk tolerance and financial goals.
- Tax Advantages – Non-discretionary portfolio management can provide investors with tax advantages. By carefully managing their portfolio alongside a knowledgable team, investors can take advantage of tax rules and minimize their tax liabilities.
Assessing your risk tolerance for non-discretionary portfolio management
When managing your own portfolio, it’s important to understand your risk tolerance. This approach involves making decisions about when to buy and sell investments, so it’s important to be aware of your own risk tolerance and understand the risks associated with different investments. SRS specializes in helping you understanding that tolerance with a holistic view of your financial picture.
Along with you, our advisors also consider other factors, such as your age and income level. These factors help us understand the types of investments that are most suitable for you. Many people opt in to non-discretionary portfolio because of the amount of time they are unable to commit to managing your portfolio. After years of experience, we’re pretty sure of a couple things:
- Maximizing your portfolio gains can be a daunting task
- You don’t have to do it alone
- You should be able to get the best market advice while also having the final say in your investment decisions
Finally, you should consider your investment experience and knowledge. It’s our consistent experience that our clients greatly benefit from leveraging the knowledge base and long-term success rates that the Secure Retirement Strategies team offers.
Best practices for non-discretionary portfolio management
To get the most out of a non-discretionary portfolio management strategy, here are some best practices to keep in mind:
- Do your research – Before making any decisions, be sure to do your research. This includes researching the different types of investments available and understanding the risks associated with each. SRS will always provide you with the information you need to make excellent investment decisions before any choices need to be made.
- Seek professional advice – Even if you’re managing your own portfolio, it’s important to seek professional advice from a financial advisor or registered investment firm like Duke & Duke Wealth Management. We can help you assess your risk tolerance and make sure that your investments are aligned with your goals.
- Develop a strategy – Once you understand the different types of investments available, it’s important to develop a strategy that aligns with your goals and risk tolerance. Secure Retirement Strategies, in conjunction with Duke & Duke, develops a holistic investment strategy that encompasses your entire financial situation, not just investing. This is crucial in order to attain the retirement goals you have in mind.
- Rebalance your portfolio – Over time, the performance of your investments may shift. To ensure that your portfolio is well-balanced, it’s important to regularly rebalance your portfolio to stay on track. We meet with our clients regularly, making suggestions and changes to their portfolio to keep them on track with desired outcomes.
- Monitor your investments – It’s important to actively monitor the performance of your investments and make adjustments as needed. This will help ensure that your portfolio is on track to meet your goals. We are constantly monitoring the markets, staying on top of current news and fluctuations so that we can best respond to and help our clients adjust their investments to stay on target.
Non-discretionary portfolio management can be a great way to take control of your investments and gain a greater understanding of the markets. It offers many benefits, including greater control, customization, and tax advantages.
However, it’s important to understand your risk tolerance and be aware of the risks associated with investments before taking on a non-discretionary portfolio management strategy. It’s also important to develop a strategy, monitor your investments, and regularly rebalance your portfolio. Secure Retirement Strategies takes the lead with our clients on all these fronts, while still giving them the final say in every decision.
If you’re interested in taking on a non-discretionary portfolio management strategy, contact Secure Retirement Strategies today to learn more about our registered investment firm, Duke & Duke Wealth Management. Our team of experienced financial advisors can help you assess your risk tolerance and develop a portfolio that meets your goals.